1 large sweet potato(or yam)-shredded (about 12 oz.)
1 1/2tsp kosher salt
1/2c minced shallots
1 large egg (beaten)
2T brown sugar
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Mix 1 1/2tsp. kosher salt with sweet potato
- Place in cheese cloth set over colander and allow to rest for 15 minutes while you gather remaining ingredients
- Gather the edges of the cheese cloth around the handle of a wooden spoon and twist to remove as much liquid as you can. (the drier the mixture, the crispier the latke)
- Combine sweet potato with remaining ingredients
- scoop 2T of latke mixture and carefully drop into hot oil, cooking about 4 latkes at a time being careful not to crowd the pan.
- cook 3-4 minutes per side until the latkes appear golden and crispy on each side.
- remove from oil and place on rack or paper towel and season immediately with a pinch of salt, sugar and cinnamon
- Serve immediately with iced cream or keep warm in a 200˚ oven (they’re best kept on a rack of some kind.