2 medium russet potatoes,shredded (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
1 1/2tsp kosher salt
1 medium onion, shredded
1 large egg (beaten)
2T flour or matzoh meal
1/2tsp kosher salt (plus some extra for seasoning)
1/2tsp coarse ground black pepper
- Mix 1 1/2tsp. kosher salt with shredded potato
- place in cheese cloth set over colander and allow to rest for 15 minutes while you gather remaining ingredients
- gather the edges of the cheese cloth around the handle of a wooden spoon and twist to remove as much liquid as you can. (the drier the mixture, the crispier the latke)
- combine potato with remaining ingredients
- heat 1/2inch of oil in a cast iron skillet to 375˚
- scoop 2T of latke mixture and carefully drop into hot oil, cooking about 4 latkes at a time being careful not to crowd the pan.
- cook 3-4 minutes per side until the latkes appear golden and crispy on each side.
- remove from oil and place on rack or paper towel and season immediately with additional salt
- Serve immediately with iced cream or keep warm in a 200˚ oven (they’re best kept on a rack of some kind.