1 medium russet potato-shredded (about 10 oz.)
1 parsnip-shredded (about 5 oz.)
1 large beet -shredded ( 5-6 oz.)
1 1/2tsp kosher salt
1/2c minced shallots
1/4c sliced scallion
1 large egg (beaten)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp toasted, ground cumin
1/4 tsp. toasted, ground corriander
1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Mix 1 1/2tsp. kosher salt with potato, beet and parsnip
- place in cheese cloth set over colander and allow to rest for 15 minutes while you gather remaining ingredients
- gather the edges of the cheese cloth around the handle of a wooden spoon and twist to remove as much liquid as you can. (the drier the mixture, the crispier the latke)
- combine vegetables with remaining ingredients
- heat 1/2 inch of oil in a cast iron skillet to 375˚
- scoop 2T of latke mixture and carefully drop into hot oil, cooking about 4 latkes at a time being careful not to crowd the pan.
- cook 3-4 minutes per side until the latkes appear golden and crispy on each side.
- remove from oil and place on rack or paper towel and season immediately with additional salt.
- Serve immediately with Greek Yogurt and, if you like, some smoked salmon or keep warm in a 200˚ oven (they’re best kept on a rack of some kind to preserve crispiness).